News

Debenhams boss Sergio Bucher steps down

Debenhams boss Sergio Bucher steps down
Business
Debenhams boss Sergio Bucher has stepped down following the recent takeover of the struggling department store chain by its lenders.

The as part of an administration process.

Mr Bucher s departure had been signalled over the weekend and he said on Thursday it was "time to move on, knowing the company is in good hands".

Terry Duddy, non-executive chairman, will become interim executive chairman.

Debenhams is the biggest department store chain in the UK with 166 stores. It employs about 25,000 people.

Mr Bucher said: "Now that our new financing facilities are in place, it is time to move on, knowing the company is in good hands with a plan that will deliver a sustainable future.

"I would like to wholeheartedly thank all of my colleagues for their efforts and dedication during such a turbulent time, as well as our suppliers, partners and of course customers for their continued support."

The group of lenders that now owns Debenhams - including banks such as Barclays and US hedge funds such as Silver Point and Golden Tree - have provided the retailer with £200m in funding.

Mr Bucher had already been voted off the retailer s board after major shareholders, Mike Ashley s Sports Direct and Landmark Group, had voted against his re-election in January.

At the same time, Debenhams chairman and replaced by Mr Duddy, who was the senior independent director until then.

As the search for a new chief executive began, Mr Duddy said: "Debenhams now has a clear path towards a viable and sustainable future and we have Sergio and his team to thank for that."

Mr Duddy is an experienced retailer having been chief executive of the business that used to own Argos and Homebase until 2014.

Debenhams said the new leadership would carry through the restructuring and turnaround of the business, which had reported record annual losses last year .

Its stores will continue to trade as normal during the initial restructuring process, although some are expected to close in the future.

The lenders took control after Sports Direct - which held a near 30% stake in Debenhams - .

However, the final offer of £200m was rejected because it was conditional on Mr Ashley becoming chief executive.

Mr Ashley subsequently described the Debenhams takeover by its lenders as a "national scandal" and called for the administration process to be reversed.
Read more on bbc.com
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Business
Debenhams boss Sergio Bucher is expected to step down following the struggling department store chain s recent takeover by its lenders. Having stayed on and got the refinancing in place,...
Business
Debenhams is understood to have secured a cash injection of around £40m to buy it extra time as it battles to secure a longer term deal with lenders. The department...
Business
In a trading update, the retailer said the forecast it made on 10 January, when it said full year profits were set to hit analysts expectations of about £8.2m, was...
Business
Retail tycoon Mike Ashley has offered a £150m cash injection to ailing retailer Debenhams as long as he can become its chief executive. Mr Ashley, who is Debenhams...
Business
He has been locked in an acrimonious battle with Debenhams board for control of the business and has accused its executives of a sustained programme of falsehoods and denials ....