News

Order restricting entry to Canada extended to July 31 as COVID-19 worries remain

Order restricting entry to Canada extended to July 31 as COVID-19 worries remain
Business
OTTAWA - The federal government says it has extended tight rules barring most foreign travellers from entering Canada until the end of July as part of efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The restrictions covering everyone except Canadian citizens and permanent residents — as well as Americans entering Canada for essential reasons — were set to expire at midnight tonight.

The order, originally imposed in March on the authority of the federal cabinet, will now last until at least July 31.

A spokeswoman for the Canada Border Services Agency says all optional or discretionary travel through all ports of entry is covered.

But there are exceptions to allow in immediate family of Canadian citizens or permanent residents, as well as to cover cases such as flight crews.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Sports
OTTAWA The federal government says it has extended tight rules barring most foreign travellers from entering Canada until the end of July as part of efforts to slow the...
Politics
OTTAWA The Canadian government has extended the current ban on most international travellers until July 31. The federal government first shut the border to non Canadian citizens, with...
Top Stories
CALGARY Alberta RCMP have confirmed to CTV News that seven tickets for violating the public health rules for COVID 19 were given out to Americans last week. RCMP...
Top Stories
OTTAWA The federal government will soon be bringing in a limited exemption to current border restrictions to allow immediate family members of citizens or permanent residents to...
Sports
Vehicles are seen here crossing the Blue Water Bridge connecting Ontario and Michigan on March 18, 2020. The current border agreement with the U.S. and Canada is due to expire...