News

Ammonia gas leak prompts evacuation of southwest Edmonton arena

Ammonia gas leak prompts evacuation of southwest Edmonton arena
Canada
The Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre was evacuated on Thursday night because of an ammonia gas leak, according to a spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.

Listen

The Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre was evacuated on Thursday night because of an ammonia gas leak, according to a spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.

Shortly after 8 p.m., the spokesperson described the leak at the arena on Leger Road as being a minor one and said it was discovered in one of the arenas. She said crews were called to respond to the rec centre at 7:14 p.m.

Edmonton Transit Service buses were brought in to keep swimmers warm after they were forced to leave the facility on short notice. They were allowed to stay on the pool deck until the buses arrived.

Eventually, people who had been using the swimming pool before the building was evacuated were allowed back in to change.

However, the building will be shut down for the evening, the spokesperson said.

The Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre was evacuated on Thursday night because of an ammonia gas leak, according to a spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
RELATED STORIES :
Canada
Three people have died in Fernie, B.C., after a possible ammonia leak at an arena in the community. Here is a list of ammonia leaks at other Canadian arenas April...
Canada
Six businesses were evacuated late Thursday afternoon after a gas line broke behind the Riverbend Square strip mall in southwest Edmonton. Global One News Helicopter Listen Six businesses were evacuated...
Canada
Firefighters were called to downtown Edmonton’s Sutton Place Hotel on Wednesday night after they were called about heavy smoke coming from a sauna. A spokesperson for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services...
Canada
An evacuation order has been lifted for several homes near an arena in Fernie, B.C. that was the site a fatal ammonia leak earlier in the week. About 55 homes...
Canada
On March 11, 2018, Edmonton Fire Rescue Services said crews were called to a fire at a strip mall located by Rabbit Hill Road and Terwillegar Drive. A business at...