N.B. minister says some long-term care workers have quit, director disputes claims
|globalnews.ca 03 Jun 2020 at 17:55|
The Campbellton Regional Hospital’s emergency department is expected to begin reopening Friday with limited hours.
Several services were suspended after a cluster of COVID-19 cases were traced to a doctor who worked there. New Brunswick announced two new cases Wednesday, both of which are from the Restigouche region.
In all, Social Development Minister Dorothy Shephard says three staff members and five residents at Manoir de la Vallée, a 57-bed long-term care facility in Atholville, have tested positive.
The cases are all in the 18-bed Alzheimer’s or advanced dementia wing, according to the facility’s director.
“We are doing everything in our power to keep this virus at bay,” says Bernard Savoie, the Lokia Group regional director for Restigouche County. “We want to reassure [families] that measures are in place to protect everybody. We also have an exterior cleaning company that’s disinfecting the building three times a day.”
Savoie says the manor typically has about 30 staff, but Premier Blaine Higgs previously mentioned 10 have left the job. Ambulance New Brunswick and Extra-Mural staff are filling in.