News

Nearly 100 students require pediatric follow-up 2 months after Montreal school carbon monoxide leak

Nearly 100 students require pediatric follow-up 2 months after Montreal school carbon monoxide leak
Canada
Two months after close to 50 people were sent to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, many students and staff members at Des Découvreurs elementary school in LaSalle are still suffering from symptoms.

Public health officials set up mobile medical clinics at the school in early March. A total of 244 students were seen and 99 needed further follow-up with a pediatrician.

“Out of those 99, there’s some that still need follow-up,” said Montreal public health physician Dr. Maxime Roy. “We know that delayed symptoms will usually show up after three to four weeks so that’s why we set up the clinic four to six weeks after the event.”

Three separate clinics were held to screen students and staff members at the LaSalle school. The goal was to make sure all students and staff members received proper medical attention and follow-up care.

“We set this up in partnership with the CIUSSS de l’Ouest-de-l’Île-de-Montréal and l’Institut national de santé publique and St-Justine hospital,” said Roy. “We wanted to do it in the school setting so it would be easier for everyone to come.”

On Jan. 15, several students lost consciousness after carbon monoxide levels reached up to 900 parts per million (PPM) in the school’s heating room. Safe exposure levels, according to the province’s workplace safety board (CNESST), can go up to 35 PPM for a period of eight hours. Carbon monoxide levels can reach up to 200 PPM for a 15-minutes without causing harm.

While many were taken to hospital, Roy wanted to make sure those who didn’t speak up that day weren’t “suffering in silence.”

The students and staff members who were most severely affected were treated in hyperbaric chambers at Sacré-Coeur Hospital immediately after the incident. While there is no treatment for delayed symptoms according to public health officials, they feel it’s important for families and school staff to understand that it could take up months for symptoms to subside.

“Most often we’re going to talk about memory problems concentration problems but it could also be hearing problems, loss of the sense of smell, balance problems,” Roy said. “Most often within a year it’s gone.”

“We still want to know what happened and why it happened,” said Dan Thornton, whose two daughters attend the school.

Joseph Ogorek, the grandfather of a student at the school, described it as an awful situation for the children.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Health
Students and staff of Des Découvreurs elementary will receive a medical check up following the carbon monoxide leak in January that sent more than 40 children and adults to hospital....
Canada
In Quebec, some schools are still not equipped with carbon monoxide detectors two months after a leak sent dozens of children to hospital. Global s Anne Leclair reports. Listen According...
Canada
A physician with Montreal’s public health department is calling on the province to make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all public institutions after at least 43 students and staff members...
Canada
Serina Sicurella, a student at Des Découvreurs elementary school in Montreal LaSalle borough is brought to hospital after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning.. Angelina Sicurella Listen Des Découvreurs elementary school...
Canada
Thirty five children and eight adults have been taken to hospital Monday after what fire officials have determined was a carbon monoxide leak in a Montreal elementary school. An ambulance service...