News

New trial ordered in deadly stage collapse at Radiohead concert in Toronto

New trial ordered in deadly stage collapse at Radiohead concert in Toronto
Canada
TORONTO – A new trial has been ordered for those charged in a deadly stage collapse at an outdoor Radiohead concert in Toronto, sending the case back to square one five years after the grim incident.

Prosecutors say a mistrial was declared after the presiding judge, Justice Shaun Nakatsuru, was appointed to the Ontario Superior Court late last year and ruled he no longer had jurisdiction over the case.

The entertainment company Live Nation, a Toronto-area contractor Optex Staging and an engineer, Domenic Cugliari, were charged in 2013 with a total of 13 charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act.

The latest delay could put the case in jeopardy under new time limits established by the Supreme Court of Canada last summer, which state that cases heard in provincial court should go to trial within 18 months and those heard in Superior Court should do so within 30 months.

One of the defence lawyers in the case, Scott Thompson, says they will be bringing an application to have the charges thrown out over unreasonable court delays.

A similar application was rejected by Nakatsuru last fall.

A British drum technician who was touring with the band was killed and three other workers were hurt after part of a massive outdoor structure came crashing down during setup for the June 2012 concert at Downsview Park.

The falling debris crushed Scott Johnson, a drum technician in his 30s, whom the band called “a highly skilled and valued member” of its road crew.

Live Nation Canada, Live Nation Ontario and Optex Staging each face four counts alleging they failed to ensure the stage structure was being built in a safe manner.

Cugliari, the engineer, faces one count of endangering a worker as a result of allegedly negligent or incompetent advice or certification.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Top Stories
The stage collapse in 2012 at Downsview took the life of Scott Johnson, 33, a drum technician with Radiohead.   Victor Biro / Special to the Star    Mon., June 19, 2017 A...
Politics
OTTAWA The discredited engineer who signed off on a northern Ontario mall weeks before it collapsed has blindsided the judicial inquiry probing the tragedy with a request to review...
Canada
Robert Wood, of Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., had pleaded not guilty to two counts of criminal negligence causing death and a third count of criminal negligence causing bodily harm....
Canada
MONTREAL Seven people five women and two men were chosen Monday on the first day of jury selection at the murder trial of the man accused in...
Politics
MONTREAL The man charged in the 2012 Quebec election night shooting is without a lawyer once again and says he will defend himself at his upcoming murder trial. Richard Henry...