Quebecer confined in Cuba says he’s been convicted in 2nd trial
|globalnews.ca 26 Dec 2018 at 10:21|
A Quebec man who had a conviction in Cuba overturned by that country s supreme court is set to go on trial for a second time. Toufik Benhamiche is accused of criminal negligence causing death after a boating accident in July of last year. On the eve of his retrial, friends and family protested outside the Cuba tourism office in Montreal. Mike Armstrong was there.
A Quebec man who has been stuck in Cuba after being involved in a boating accident that killed a fellow tourist in 2017 says he is once again facing four years in prison following a second trial.
Toufik Benhamiche says in a statement that he was convicted in relation to the incident following a trial that took place on Dec. 10.
The man from Mascouche, Que., was originally convicted of criminal negligence causing death but the verdict was overturned by Cuba’s highest court earlier this year.
Benhamiche, 48, was driving a small boat as part of a tourist excursion in July 2017 in Cayo Coco when it veered out of control and fatally struck a woman from Ontario.
His lawyers have argued the rental company violated Cuban safety standards, and that Benhamiche was given little instruction on how to operate the craft and was assured it wasn’t dangerous.
His wife, Kahina Bensaadi, has repeatedly called on Canadian government officials to intervene and help bring her husband home.