Second migrant worker in Windsor region dies due to COVID-19, hospital says
|Toronto Star 06 Jun 2020 at 11:55|
Windsor Regional Hospital says a 24-year-old man was first admitted to a different hospital on Monday, and died at their facility on Friday.
The hospital says they have contacted the man’s family in Mexico.
A news release also says that local hospitals and health organizations will jointly conduct a “mass swabbing” for COVID-19 of 8,000 migrant workers in Windsor-Essex starting on Tuesday.
Another temporary foreign worker in the Windsor area who came to Canada in February and tested positive for the virus on May 21 died last weekend.
Approximately 20,000 migrant workers come to Ontario each year to work on farms and in greenhouses — many of them from Mexico, Guatemala and the Caribbean — and this year have been required to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival.
Outbreaks that have affected dozens of migrant workers have been reported in Chatham-Kent, Windsor-Essex, Niagara Region and Elgin County.
Meanwhile, Ontario has extended its emergency orders for another 10 days, including banning people from dining in bars and restaurants, and gathering in groups larger than five.
The orders had been set to expire June 9, but the province announced Saturday that they are being extended until June 19.
They include the closure of child care centres, though Premier Doug Ford has said that a phased reopening plan for them will be announced early next week.