News

Six months added to sentence of Toronto officer convicted in Yatim shooting

Six months added to sentence of Toronto officer convicted in Yatim shooting
Canada
TORONTO -- A Toronto police officer convicted in the fatal shooting of a troubled teen on an empty streetcar has had six months added to his prison sentence after pleading guilty to perjury, his lawyers said Thursday.

Const. James Forcillo fired two separate volleys at Sammy Yatim as the 18-year-old was standing alone holding a small knife on a summer night in 2013, in an incident that ignited public outrage after a bystander s video was made public.

Forcillo was sentenced to six years in prison in 2016, but was released on bail pending the appeal of his conviction and sentence.

In November 2017, however, Forcillo was charged with breaching the conditions of his bail after authorities found him living at the home of his new fiancee and not with his ex-wife, as the court had instructed him. Police later added charges of perjury and attempting to obstruct justice. The obstruction and breach charges were withdrawn when Forcillo pleaded guilty to perjury, his lawyer said.

Officers found Forcillo s name on the apartment s lease and security footage showed that Forcillo had been going to the apartment for a week, according to an agreed statement of facts presented in court by the Crown and Forcillo s defence team on Thursday.

Forcillo s appeal was dismissed by the Ontario Court of Appeal last month.

In light of Forcillo s guilty plea on Thursday, Justice Sandra Bacchus sentenced him to six months in prison, on top of his existing term of six years.

Forcillo s lawyer Michael Lacy said his client was going through a "difficult time" in the wake of both his appeal s dismissal and his increased sentence.

"He accepted responsibility (for breaching his bail) and obviously he ll have to take the punishment associated with accepting that responsibility," Lacy said.

Forcillo and his lawyers are still reviewing the Appeal court s decision and deciding whether to take their case to the Supreme Court of Canada, Lacy added.
Read more on CTVnews
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Top Stories
The Ontario Court of Appeal will release its decision Monday in Const. James Forcillo’s appeal of his for the 2013 shooting of Sammy Yatim . The Toronto police officer...
Top Stories
The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear the case of the former Toronto police officer James Forcillo who fatally shot Sammy Yatim on a streetcar in 2013. The decision...
Top Stories
The case of a Toronto police officer found guilty of attempted murder in the fatal shooting of a teen on a streetcar and now charged with attempting to obstruct justice...
Top Stories
A Toronto judge has added six months onto James Forcillo’s six year prison sentence after he pleaded guilty Thursday to perjury and admitted he lied on a sworn affidavit filed in...
Canada
TORONTO The Crown is seeking to revoke the bail of a Toronto police officer convicted of attempted murder in the death of a teen on an empty streetcar. Const....