News

Doug Ford’s Cellphone Out Of Service Due To Calls From ‘Special Interest Groups’: Office

Doug Ford’s Cellphone Out Of Service Due To Calls From ‘Special Interest Groups’: Office
Entertainment
Ontario Premier Doug Ford will no longer be reachable by his private cellphone due to a deluge of calls from special interest groups, his office says.

Its incredibly rare for any politician, especially a Premier, to be as accessible as Premier Ford, his press secretary Ivana Yelich told HuffPost Canada in an emailed statement Wednesday.

Unfortunately, special interest groups have co-opted this access with coordinated campaigns to push their own agendas. This has made it impossible for the Premier to use his cellphone for the original objective: to speak to the people.

Yelich would not specify which groups she was referencing, but told HuffPost it was not uncommon for Ford to receive hundreds of calls and texts each day.

Ford has frequently given out his private number at public events , encouraging people to contact him directly with concerns. Its a form of retail politics that was also used by his late brother, .

Calls to that number now yield a message saying the line is no longer in service.

It appears Doug Ford no longer wants to hear from the people. pic.twitter.com/Qjw5DCElsV

Fords number has been shared on social media by those encouraging Ontarians and anyone else to express their views on everything from his plan to use the notwithstanding clause to slash the size of Torontos city council last year to his governments funding for social services.

In May, a Kitchener, Ont. dad who texted Ford about some dismal polling numbers told HuffPost he felt a bit threatened after he received a voicemail from the premier warning him to be very, very careful about accusing the government of corruption.

After Ford was booed at a celebration for the Toronto Raptors NBA title win last month, some on Twitter also encouraged fans to

Opposition New Democrats also had some fun with the issue.

During question period last November, NDP MPP Taras Natyshak suggested General Motors workers might want to chat with Ford about the companys decision to close its plant in Oshawa, Ont.
Read more on The Huffington Post
News Topics :
RELATED STORIES :
Top Stories
TORONTO — Ontario Premier Doug Ford has cancelled his cell phone after his office says he was inundated with calls from special interest groups. The premier has given out his...
Canada
Ontario Premier Doug Ford has cancelled his cell phone after his office says he was inundated with calls from special interest groups. The premier has given out his cell number...
Canada
TORONTO Ontario Premier Doug Ford has cancelled his cell phone after his office says he was inundated with calls from special interest groups. The premier has given out his...
Entertainment
Actor Kiefer Sutherland left says comparisons between Ontario Premier Doug Ford right and his grandfather, Tommy Douglas, are offensive. Kiefer Sutherland has a simple message for Ontarios premier You Sir,...
Sports
TORONTO An Opposition MPP is slamming Ontario Premier Doug Fords comments about a mentally ill patient as derogatory and unhelpful. Thursday morning, Ford called into a Toronto talk radio...