Coronavirus: Health officials say there are 10 outbreaks in long-term care homes around Ontario
|globalnews.ca 31 Mar 2020 at 18:42|
Larger font Increase article font size
Ontario health officials say there are 10 outbreaks of coronavirus in long-term care homes across the province as facilities work to isolate those infected from healthy residents.
Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Ontario’s associate medical officer of health, confirmed the number in a provincial update Tuesday afternoon.
On Monday, Toronto’s Rekai Centre (Sherbourne Place) confirmed its first death, a man in his 60s with underlying health conditions.
In a statement, the centre said the man was diagnosed on Friday and was immediately put into isolation. He shared a room at the home.
“He had been isolated prior to that because we suspected he might have it due to symptoms, but he passed away last evening which has been devastating for his family and the staff that cared for him,” said Sue Graham-Nutter, CEO of the Rekai Centre.
The centre went on to confirm that there are three more residents who have tested positive and two others with tests pending.
“This virus moves very quickly as public health officials have been telling us and right now they’re all stable, thank god, but the virus does move fast and if they have underlying conditions, it can be very troubling,” Graham-Nutter said, adding the centre only has six private rooms and those are already filled.