News

Infant dies after contracting mould infection at Seattle hospital

Infant dies after contracting mould infection at Seattle hospital
Health
SEATTLE -- A nearly 6-month-old baby has died after contracting an Aspergillus mould infection at Seattle s Children s hospital.

Beth was born in August with a heart condition and was rushed from Tacoma General Hospital to Seattle Children s, where she had three surgeries, beginning when she was 5 days old.

At some point at Seattle Children s, Beth contracted an infection in her heart from the Aspergillus mould, a recurring problem that has sickened patients at the hospital as far back as 2001.

Beth s family is involved in a class-action lawsuit against Children s, first filed in December on behalf of the families of patients who have been sickened from the mould.
Read more on CTVnews
News Topics :
RELATED STORIES :
World
Traces of E.coli bacteria and the Aspergillus fungus were found by analysts who examined 90 samples bought in and around the Spanish capital The samples that were wrapped up in...
Technology
The fungus Aspergillus fumigatus in red produces a sticky sugar molecule in green to make a biofilm that is important for its virulence. It covers the fungus and allows it...
Health
FILE In this May 21, 2015, file photo, a thermal camera monitor shows the body temperature of passengers arriving from overseas against possible MERS, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome, virus...
Health
TORONTO Seniors who develop a bout of pneumonia severe enough to require hospitalization are at higher risk of having a heart attack, stroke or dying of heart failure for...
World
PORTLAND, Ore. An Iranian infant soon will have life saving heart surgery in Portland after she was temporarily banned from coming into the U.S. by President Donald Trump s immigration...