News

WWE exec Vince McMahon resurrecting failed XFL for 2020 start

WWE exec Vince McMahon resurrecting failed XFL for 2020 start
Sports
The sexed-up, second-rate football league formed as the early 2000s brainchild of WWE ringleader Vince McMahon is set for a surprising second life in 2020. The league that spawned “He Hate Me” and placed TV cameras in the bathroom flamed out in 2001 after one wild season. Interest in the league was reignited when ESPN aired the This Was the XFL documentary that chronicled the spectacular football failure.

McMahon is back in charge, pumping $100 million (U.S.) into the XFL through his new private entity, Alpha Entertainment.

“I’ve always wanted to bring it back,” the 72-year-old McMahon said on Thursday. “I think the most important thing that we learned with the older XFL and now the new XFL is the quality of play. We have two years now to really get it right.”

McMahon, who will continue as chairman and CEO of WWE, offered few other details about the football comeback. The XFL will launch with eight teams, 40-man active rosters and a 10-week regular-season schedule. McMahon said the schedule, designed to fill the seven-month gap without the NFL, could begin as early as the end of January. No cities or TV partners were named.

The league will own the eight teams.

The XFL in 2001 had eight teams, mostly in major markets, such as Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco. McMahon said the selection of cities in the new XFL will be announced in the next few months, and a mix of major and mid-major markets will be considered.

The XFL post-season will have two semifinal games and a championship game. XFL salaries have yet to be decided, though players will be paid more to win. He wants a 2-hour game and even tossed out the idea of eliminating halftime.

“We will present a shorter, faster-paced, family-friendly and easier to understand game,” McMahon said. “It’s still football. But it’s professional football reimagined.”

This could be a gimmick-free XFL, perhaps without nicknames such as Rod Smart’s “He Hate Me” stitched on the back of his uniform.

McMahon said the XFL did not want players with a criminal record and even a DUI would exclude an athlete from a contract. McMahon wanted his players to stand for the national anthem, though stopped short of saying it was mandatory.

“As far as our league is concerned, it will have nothing to do with politics,” McMahon said. “And nothing to do with social issues, either. We’re there to play football.”

The XFL and WWE will have no crossover, unlike the first incarnation when wrestling announcers and personalities such as former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura dominated the football telecast.

McMahon promised a safer football league, though he again offered no specifics for a league that unveiled a human coin toss the first time around — players scrambled from each team to grab the football to decide possession. One player separated his shoulder fighting for the ball.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Sports
Vince McMahon is bringing back the XFL. It’s just like the old saying goes If at first you don’t succeed, wait 20 years and then try again, but this time...
Sports
Last week, a journalist’s tweet and an intriguing statement from the WWE stoked widespread speculation that Vince McMahon was thinking about bringing back the XFL. But what really talks is...
Sports
McMahon said the XFL would return in 2020 but offered few other details about the late winter/early spring football league. The XFL will launch with eight teams, 40 man active rosters...
Sports
The XFL American football league signaled it was back in business on Wednesday, announcing eight charter franchises for its reboot that will kick off in 2020 and a change of direction from...
Sports
NEW YORK — Former NFL quarterback Oliver Luck is leaving his high ranking position at the NCAA to become commissioner of the XFL, the second edition of professional wrestling mogul Vince...