5 things to know for Friday, December 7, 2018
|CTVnews 07 Dec 2018 at 03:39|
Canada is caught in the middle of a standoff between the United States and China after arresting the CFO of Huawei, creating rising concern that Canadians in China may be arrested in retaliation. Here s what else you need to know to start your day.
1. Huawei executive: Huawei s CFO who was arrested in Canada after an extradition request from the United States is scheduled to appear in Vancouver court for a bail hearing.
2. Job loss: Nearly 700 employees at a Nova Scotia call centre have found out they will lose their jobs less than three weeks before Christmas after the company filed for bankruptcy.
3. School sign: Winnipeg parents are demanding an apology from a business owner after he hung a that reads children left here will be eaten.
4. Cannabis cookies: Two Ontario elementary students were sent to hospital after a child took a parent s cannabis cookies and ate them at school.
5. Academy Awards: Two days after being named host of this year s Oscars, comedian Kevin Hart has stepped down following a public outcry over past homophobic tweets.