5 things to know for Tuesday, April 23, 2019
|CTVnews 23 Apr 2019 at 03:33|
Sri Lanka s president has declared a state of emergency following the deadly Easter bombings, giving the military sweeping police powers to detain and arrest possible suspects. Here s what else you need to know to start your day.
1. Sri Lanka explosions: Sri Lankan officials say in connection with Sunday s attacks -- including the driver of a van allegedly used by the suicide bombers -- as the death toll rose to 310.
2. Grass fire: An area southwest of Biggar, Sask. has been evacuated following an out-of-control grass fire , while other residents near the area are advised to be prepared to leave if necessary.
3. New drug: The British Columbia Interior Health authority is warning street-drug users of a synthetic cannabinoid that has been in New York.
4. Insurance rates: An Ontario couple saw their home and auto insurance premiums increase by hundreds of dollars because they were given a new postal code -- even though they didn t move.
5. Bee population: The American Bumblebee is now considered critically endangered and could face possible extinction in Canada, according to a new study.
One more thing
Curling sweeping: A former champion curler from Saskatchewan is running experiments aimed at developing an optimal technique for sweeping , which he says the sport is currently lacking.