5 things to know for Wednesday, January 23, 2019
|CTVnews 23 Jan 2019 at 03:37|
A U.S. Department of Justice official confirmed America will request the extradition of Huawei s chief financial officer, who is being held under house arrest in Vancouver for allegedly violating U.S. sanctions against Iran. Here s what else you need to know to start your day.
1. Huawei case: A spokesperson for the Chinese Foreign Ministry says the U.S. government is infringing the rights of Chinese citizens by pursuing the extradition of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou.
2. Political platform: Former New Democrat MP Svend Robinson is returning to politics after a 15-year absence, and he is making a key part of his pitch.
3. Family feud: Belinda Stronach has filed a defence and counterclaim to her father Frank Stronach s lawsuit, claiming the auto parts mogul has lost hundreds of millions of dollars on passion projects.
4. Refugee security: The federal government is looking into providing funding to the settlement agency that is providing Saudi teen Rahaf Mohammed with 24-hour security.
5. Food groups: The newest version of Canada s Food Guide moves away from its prior focus on meat and milk while recommending Canadians consume more plant-based proteins.
One more thing...
Generous sportsmanship: While a high-school wrestler seen in a viral video may not have won the tournament, he s still being hailed as a winner after forfeiting his match to an injured opponent.