Canadian blinded by water-borne parasite outraged by medication cost

Canadian blinded by water-borne parasite outraged by medication cost
Top Stories
A Canadian man blinded in his right eye by a water-borne parasite has hit out at the cost of drugs after spending thousands on medicine not authorized for sale in Canada.

Jon Volpe, from Tottenham, Ont., has endured excruciating pain caused by acanthmoeba keratitis (AK), a rare disease in which amoebae invade the cornea of the eye.

Volpe, 32, contracted the parasite in January 2018, just days after discovering his wife was pregnant with their first child.

The father of one believes he contracted AK while wearing contact lenses in the shower at home or at the hockey rink.

Volpe shared his story with after reading about a journalist in England who went public with his battle with the same infection earlier this month.

I started to experience pain in my eye in late January and was misdiagnosed for three weeks until I started getting proper treatment, Volpe told
Read more on CTVnews
News Topics :
PITTSBURGH A man has filed a lawsuit against a Pittsburgh amusement park claiming he contracted an eye eating parasite after getting splashed on a water ride. Robert and Krystsina Trostle...
Top Stories
A local newspaper reporter has warned others not to wear contact lenses while showering, after water borne bacteria rendered him blind in one eye. Nick Humphreys, 29, who works for the...
Top Stories
A man in Pennsylvania says he contracted an eye eating parasite from an amusement park water ride, and he is suing the park for negligence. Robert Trostle claims that he contracted...
Just days before his fourth birthday, Gizmo, the Limongiello’s family dog, had to be put down last month, after contracting a parasite that proved to be deadly. “He was one...
WASHINGTON In a pair of dramatic moves, the Trump administration has signalled a growing desire to secure new trade deals, softening one key demand in the NAFTA negotiations, then...