News

Parents of man who killed six people in deadly Quebec mosque attack say 40-year sentence too severe

Parents of man who killed six people in deadly Quebec mosque attack say 40-year sentence too severe
Top Stories
QUEBEC — The parents of a man behind the deadly Quebec City mosque attack have issued an open letter questioning the severity of the minimum 40-year sentence handed down to their son last week.

Alexandre Bissonnette, 29, received his sentence Friday for killing six men and injuring six others at the Islamic Cultural Centre mosque on Jan. 29, 2017.

His parents, Raymond Bissonnette and Manon Marchand, say in the letter released Monday that the sentence is the harshest imposed in Quebec since the death penalty was abolished in 1976.

They say the Crown’s request for six consecutive life sentences, which would have prevented their son from seeking parole for 150 years and guaranteed that he end his life behind bars, amounted to circumventing the abolition of the death penalty and would terminate all hope of rehabilitation.

Meanwhile, Quebec Superior Court Justice Francois Huot concluded a sentence of 50 years or more would constitute cruel and unusual punishment for the 29-year-old.

Bissonnette’s parents say he suffered psychological and physical bullying during his years in school that had “devastating effects” on his personality.

“If we really want to prevent such a tragedy from happening again, it seems to me that the solution is not to lock someone up forever, but rather try to better understand and prevent bullying, which is a serious societal problem that continues to make victims among our young,” the letter reads.

His parents say people who commit serious crimes should still have the possibility to apply for parole after 25 years — a “glimmer of hope” they say would encourage rehabilitation.

“Unlike other countries, Canada has chosen an open-door policy, welcoming people from all over the world and giving them hope for a second chance in life,” the letter says. “Why deny convicts even the faintest hope?”

Legal experts have said Bissonnette’s sentence is likely to be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court.

However, it has been denounced by survivors of the attack and other Muslim community members.

Boufeldja Benabdallah, president of the mosque that was attacked, said last week that community members were stunned by the decision and felt the judge was more concerned about the dignity of the killer than that of the victims and their families.

Bissonnette pleaded guilty last March to six counts of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder after he walked into the mosque during evening prayers and opened fire. The murder victims were Mamadou Tanou Barry, 42; Abdelkrim Hassane, 41; Khaled Belkacemi, 60; Aboubaker Thabti, 44; Azzeddine Soufiane, 57; and Ibrahima Barry, 39.

Josephine Mathias: It’s OK to forgive racism. Eventually

If the shocking allegations are true that the PMO pressured the former justice minister to cut a deal for the party’s corporate friends, he has no choice but to resign

If he’s still alive, McArthur, 67, may ask for parole at age 91

The CEO of the amateur hockey governing body said he is ready to listen if the victim’s family wants to appeal the club’s decision to briefly suspend two players
Read more on National Post
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Canada
Parents of Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette call son’s sentence ‘very severe’ in open letter The parents of the man responsible for the Quebec City mosque shooting have penned...
Top Stories
Raymond Bissonnette and Manon Marchand released an open letter Monday, questioning the severity of the minimum 40 year sentence handed down to their son last week. Alexandre Bissonnette, 29, was ordered...
Canada
Alexandre Bissonnette is escorted to a van after appearing in court for the deadly shooting at a mosque on January 30, 2017 in Quebec City. The father of Quebec City...
Canada
Quebec City Muslim community ‘astonished and very upset’ by Alexandre Bissonnette’s sentence Members of Quebec City’s Muslim community say they are “astonished and very upset” after Alexandre Bissonnette, the man...
Top Stories
On Friday afternoon, a few hours after Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur was sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years, Quebec mosque killer Alexandre...