News

Prince Philip, 97, seen driving without a seatbelt just days after car crash that left two women injured

Prince Philip, 97, seen driving without a seatbelt just days after car crash that left two women injured
Top Stories
British police have spoken with Prince Philip after the husband of Queen Elizabeth II was photographed apparently driving without wearing a seatbelt — just two days after he was involved in a car crash.

Norfolk Police said late Saturday “suitable words of advice have been given to the driver.”

The photograph published by British media Saturday showed Philip, 97, driving a new Land Rover near the royal residence at Sandringham.

Prince Philip was photographed driving a new Land Rover without wearing a seatbelt, two days after his last one was wrecked in a car crash https://t.co/zcS1ZzZRi6

On Thursday Philip was driving another car when he was involved in a serious collision in which two people in the other car suffered minor injuries. The accident is still being investigated and no one has been arrested or charged.

Buckingham Palace says Philip has a valid driver’s license. There is no upper age limit for licensing drivers in Britain.

When the Duke of Edinburgh walked away from a serious car crash unscathed, it was declared nothing short of a miracle by those who saw him.

On Friday, in the aftermath of the collision, he appeared to continue in similarly forthright manner, being confirmed as unharmed by a doctor and taking delivery of a replacement car.

The Land Rover Freelander was dropped off at the Sandringham Estate, less than 24 hours after the accident, which left two women in hospital, suggesting the Duke may not be giving up driving at all.

The 97-year-old contacted the women involved in the crash privately to send “well wishes,” as it emerged that a nine-month-old baby was also in their car.

Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke went to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in King’s Lynn on the advice of a doctor yesterday for a “precautionary check up,” and was found to have “no injuries of concern.”

He is now back at Sandringham with the Queen, as the police formally investigate the accident.

Despite suggestions that the Duke may choose to surrender his licence in the wake of the crash, this was proven inaccurate when a Land Rover was delivered to the Norfolk estate yesterday.

It appeared to be the same vehicle the Duke has been recently photographed driving around Balmoral.

News media film broken glass and car parts on the road side near to the Sandringham Estate, England, where Prince Philip was involved in a road accident late Thursday while he was driving, Friday Jan. 18, 2019. John Stillwell/PA via AP

A spokesman declined to comment on whether the Duke would continue to drive on public roads. Buckingham Palace also declined to comment on suggestions that the Duke had been travelling without protection officers. The other two adults involved in the accident, on the busy A149, were recovering from injuries which left them in hospital, as witnesses told how the baby boy was left screaming in a smoke-filled car.

The 28-year-old driver of the Kia Carens suffered cuts to her knee, while her 45-year-old passenger broke a wrist. Both were treated at the same King’s Lynn hospital and discharged.

Police confirmed that the nine-month-old son of the driver survived unharmed, despite omitting him from their original statement detailing the crash, after an eyewitness gave a full account of the scene.

The Princess Royal, the Duke’s daughter, told reporters of her father’s condition: “I’ve no idea. Do you know where I am? Same place as you.”

U.S. President Barack Obama, First Lady Michelle Obama and Queen Elizabeth II arrive at the Sovereign’s Entrance in the Quadrangle of Windsor Castle driven by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, after landing by helicopter at Windsor Castle for a private lunch on April 22, 2016. Geoff Pugh/Pool images file photo

Roy Warne, a 75-year-old retired barrister, has spoken of how he was left with the Duke’s blood on his hands as he pulled him out of the shattered windscreen of his upturned Land Rover.

He claimed that he had heard the Duke of Edinburgh say that he had been dazzled by the sun, meaning he did not see the other car, which hit him after he pulled out of a side road.

Warne, who was with his wife Victoria at the time, said: “I saw [the car] careering and tumbling across the road and ending up on the other side.”

The Kia, he said, was partially in a hedge with smoke pouring from the engine, making him fear it would explode. He said: “There were two women in the car and one of them had a broken arm and they were very shaken.

“One of them was the mother of the child and she was quite upset. The windows were down and with another chap, we got the baby out.”

Of the Duke’s car, which he went to next, he said: “I helped him move his legs which were a bit trapped and a bit crushed, then I saw his face and I realized who it was.

“He didn’t seem to be in pain and I don’t think he was particularly concerned but obviously he was very shocked in the circumstances.”

Warne, along with another member of the public and police officers, helped to free the Duke’s legs and eased him out through the sunroof.

“I had his blood on my hands. It wasn’t much and one of the royal people gave me a wipe.”

A B.C. case raises difficult questions about parental rights and about how young is too young to make medical decisions. The result is a messy ethical and legal tangle

The decline of brony culture might have been inevitable, fads tend to fade, but for some unlikely fans of My Little Pony, the novelty is simply maturing

I saw this crazy-yellow product, says chef Rob Gentile. And I looked at (my chefs) and said, ‘What the hell is this?’

Will it be a hot war with protest and acrimony, like Uber vs. taxis? Or is the outcome inevitably foretold, no matter what, as in Netflix vs. Blockbuster?
Read more on National Post
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
LONDON—British police have spoken with Prince Philip after the husband of Queen Elizabeth II was photographed apparently driving without wearing a seatbelt — just two days after he was involved...
Top Stories
The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, had to climb from the wreckage of his car Thursday following a crash in which his Land Rover overturned on its side. The 97 year old...
World
LONDON British police have spoken with Prince Philip after the husband of Queen Elizabeth II was photographed apparently driving without wearing a seatbelt just two days after he...
World
LONDON Reuters – Queen Elizabeth’s husband, Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh, 97, was involved in a traffic accident on Thursday near the Sandringham estate in eastern England, Buckingham Palace...
Top Stories
LONDON Buckingham Palace says 97 year old Prince Philip has decided to stop driving, less than a month after he was involved in a collision that left two women injured. The...