News

Australian archbishop refuses to resign in wake of child abuse cover-up

Australian archbishop refuses to resign in wake of child abuse cover-up
World
In this image made from video, Archbishop Philip Wilson, centre, heads to Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, Australia, on May 22, 2018. (Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP)

Published Wednesday, May 23, 2018 3:55AM EDT

CANBERRA, Australia -- An Australian archbishop said on Wednesday he will stand aside but does not intend to resign after becoming the most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse.

Archbishop of Adelaide Philip Wilson was convicted on Tuesday in the Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, of concealing the sexual abuse of two altar boys by a pedophile priest in the 1970s.

The 67-year-old who has Alzheimers disease was released on bail and faces a prison term of up to two years when he is sentenced next month.

Wilson said he would stand aside on Friday after administrative arrangements were made to manage his archdiocese.

Wilson said he was still discussing the magistrates decision with his lawyers.

"While I do so, it is appropriate that, in the light of some of his Honors findings, I stand aside from my duties as archbishop," Wilson said in a statement.

"If at any point in time it becomes necessary or appropriate for me to take more formal steps, including by resigning as archbishop, then I will do so," he added. He has not said whether he is considering an appeal.

Wilson was once Australias highest-ranking archbishop as president of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference.

The conviction is another step toward holding the church to account for a global abuse crisis that has also engulfed Pope Francis financial minister, Australian Cardinal George Pell. Some lawyers expected many more clerics would be charged in Australian as a result of Wilsons test case.

Before Wilson announced he would step down, Frank Brennan, an Australian Jesuit priest, human rights lawyer and academic, said the move was inevitable.

"Theres no doubt that Archbishop Wilson in recent years ... has been one of the good guys. He has been one of the bishops in the Catholic Church who have been trying to clean things up," Brennan said.

"But this relates to when he was a young priest. Even someone like him who later got it back in those years was so confined by our culture that it would seem there was no disclosure," he added.

An Australian inquiry into child abuse recommended in December that the Catholic Church lift its demand of celibacy from clergy and that priests be prosecuted for failing to report evidence of pedophilia heard in the confessional.

An altar boy testified at Wilsons trial that in the mid-1970s the then-priest had refused to believe the boys allegations of abuse made in the confessional.

Australias longest-running royal commission -- which is the countrys highest form of inquiry -- had been investigating since 2012 how the Catholic Church and other institutions responded to sexual abuse of children in Australia over 90 years.

The report heard testimony from more than 8,000 survivors of child sex abuse. Of those who were abused in religious institutions, 62 percent were Catholics.
Read more on CTVnews
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
In this image made from video, Archbishop Philip Wilson, centre, heads to Newcastle Local Court, north of Sydney, Australia, on May 22, 2018. Australian Broadcasting Corporation via AP Published...
Top Stories
CANERRA, Australia — The most senior Roman Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse was sentenced to 12 months in detention by an Australian court Tuesday...
World
CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA—The most senior Roman Catholic cleric to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse was sentenced to 12 months in detention by an Australian court Tuesday in a...
World
Former Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson, centre, arrives at Newcastle Local Court, in Newcastle, Australia, after a post sentence decision, Tuesday, August 14, 2018. Darren Pateman/AAP Image via AP Published Tuesday, August 14,...
World
NEWCASTLE, Australia The most senior Roman Catholic cleric in the world to be convicted of covering up child sex abuse has been sentenced in an Australian court to 12...