News

Egypt expels Guardian reporter for challenging virus count

CAIRO - Egypt has expelled a correspondent for The Guardian over a report citing a study that challenged the official count of coronavirus cases in the Arab world’s most populous country, the British daily reported Thursday.

The paper’s correspondent, Ruth Michaelson, left the country last week after Western diplomats informed her that Egyptian security services wanted her to leave “immediately,“ the daily said.

Michaelson had reported on unpublished research by Canadian infectious disease specialists estimating an outbreak size of over 19,000 cases in Egypt. The scientists had used data from early March when Egypt officially had only three confirmed cases, according to Michaelson’s report published on March 15.

The following day, Michaelson, along with a New York Times reporter who had tweeted her story, were summoned by Egyptian officials and told that they were accused of “misreporting“ and “spreading panic,” the Guardian said.

A day later, Egypt’s State Information Services, the government-body overseeing foreign correspondents, revoked Michaelson’s press credentials and released a statement accusing her of citing a “misleading“ study based on “false conclusions” and “speculation”.

Egyptian authorities threatened to shut the Guardian’s bureau in Cairo if the paper refused to retract the story and run an official apology, the statement said.

Egypt’s on Wednesday said there have been 456 cases of the new coronavirus in the country, including 21 fatalities. In recent weeks, the government has beefed up precautionary measures to contain the pandemic by shutting down schools, restaurants and recreational facilities, reducing the workforce in public and private businesses and eventually imposing an 11-hour daily curfew. State-run media have called on people to observe social-distancing and stay home.

Michaelson, who lived in and reported on Egypt since 2014, boarded a Germany-bound flight along with stranded foreign nationals last Friday, a day after Egypt suspended all commercial flights to stop the spread of the virus.

The Guardian said it offered to publish a rebuttal by Egyptian authorities of the Canadian study but received no response to the offer.

“We regret that the Egyptian authorities have chosen to revoke accreditation from a reporter working for a trusted, independent media organization like the Guardian,” a spokesperson for the paper said.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
RELATED STORIES :
World
CAIRO When Javier Parodi returned from a tour of Egypt’s famed ancient tombs in the southern city of Luxor last week, he was unnerved to see that the cruise...
Top Stories
LUXOR, EGYPT A cruise ship on Egypt s Nile River with over 150 tourists and local crew was in quarantine Saturday in the southern city of...
World
CAIRO—A 3, 000 year old bust of Egypt’s boy king Tutankhamen was auctioned off Thursday in London for nearly $6 million, despite claims by the Egyptian government that it was looted and smuggled...
World
Egyptian security forces escort detained supporters of Egypt s ousted president Mohamed Morsi in eastern Cairo in August, 2013.   MOHAMMED ABDEL / AFP/GETTY IMAGES    Sun., Aug. 14, 2016 Three years ago...
World
Morsi, the case’s top defendant, and two of his aides were sentenced to 25 years in prison. Morsi and his secretary, Amin el Sirafy, each received an additional 15 year sentence for...