News

Judge: Trial of white officer in chokehold death can proceed

NEW YORK - A New York City judge is allowing a police disciplinary case to proceed against the white officer accused in the 2014 chokehold death of an unarmed black man.

Pantaleo’s trial is scheduled to start Monday.

The Civilian Complaint Review Board is prosecuting Pantaleo under a memorandum of understanding with the NYPD. His lawyer says the department should be handling the prosecution itself.

Pantaleo is charged with reckless use of a chokehold and intentional use of a chokehold in Eric Garner’s July 2014 death on Staten Island.

If convicted, Pantaleo could face punishment ranging from the loss of vacation days to firing. He is currently on desk duty.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
NEW YORK A police watchdog agency investigator who leaked the disciplinary record of a white police officer involved in the chokehold death of unarmed black man Eric Garner resigned...
World
WASHINGTON A U.S. Justice Department official says the department will investigate the chokehold death of an unarmed black man after a grand jury in New York City declined to...
World
NEW YORK The deadly confrontation five summers ago flickers in Gwen Carr’s mind, competing for attention with warm, happy memories of her late son Eric Garner’s life. For all...
World
A grand jury cleared a white New York City police officer Wednesday in the videotaped chokehold death of an unarmed black man who had been stopped on suspicion of selling...
World
NEW YORK The head of the New York Police Department’s recruit training says video shows that a restraint technique used on Eric Garner in 2014 “meets the definition of...