News

Man trying to rob Bellagio Casino for 2nd time killed in police shootout

Man trying to rob Bellagio Casino for 2nd time killed in police shootout
World
A twice-convicted bank robber who was shot and killed after wounding a police officer outside a busy Las Vegas Strip resort got away with cash and poker chips during a similar heist at the same hotel less than two years ago, a police official said Monday.

Displaying side-by-side photos, Clark County Assistant Sheriff Charles Hank  told reporters that Michael Charles Cohen wore glasses, a bandage on his face, a hooded sweatshirt and a black knit cap during armed robberies late Friday and on Nov. 28, 2017, of a poker room cashier at the Bellagio Resort.

The latter theft occurred on the same night that Hollywood actor a gunpoint robbery at the Bellagio.

Hank showed multiple video clips from hotel valet surveillance and officers’ body cameras showing Cohen’s attempted getaway on Friday and branded the man “a brazen criminal who showed no regard for his victims and was willing to use deadly force on a police officer in order to make his escape.”

Only two shots were fired, Hank said.

Cohen, 49, of Las Vegas, was shot once by officer Joaquin Escobar after video shows Cohen ran from the Bellagio, tried to carjack a motorist who locked the door of her car and then fired once with a .380-calibre handgun as four bicycle patrol officers wearing yellow shirts moved toward him.

One police officer, struck in the chest of his bulletproof vest, fell backwards into two colleagues and escaped serious injury, Hank said. He was treated at a hospital and released. His name was not made public.

“We’re fortunate that our officer’s vest stopped that round,” Hank said. “This could have been very tragic for both our officers as well as citizens … or even that lady in her car.”

Cohen died of a single gunshot to the head, the Clark County coroner said.

Hank said Cohen was previously convicted of bank robberies in Nevada in 1999 and 2008.

In the November 2017 robbery, police say a carjacking victim managed to free himself from the trunk of his grey sedan, but Cohen still used it to make his getaway. The car was later found abandoned.

Escobar, 29, a police officer for nearly two years, was placed on paid administrative leave pending departmental and district attorney reviews of the fatal shooting.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
Las Vegas police respond to an officer involved shooting in front of Bellagio on Friday, March 15, 2019, in Las Vegas. Benjamin Hager/Las Vegas Review Journal via AP Published Saturday, March 16,...
World
LAS VEGAS One person was killed and several Canadians were among the more than two dozen people injured after a car crashed into pedestrians on a sidewalk Sunday night...
World
Listen The Bellagio Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip was put on lockdown early on Saturday after an armed burglary of a high end jewelry store sent panicked guests...
World
People are returning to the heart of the Las Vegas Strip after a gunman shot people on a public bus and then barricaded himself inside, shutting down the busy tourism...
World
It has been a year since the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, and a woman set to talk at a sunrise ceremony commemorating the lives lost says that...