News

Turkish post in Syria’s Idlib hit by mortar fire; 3 wounded

ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey’s Defence Ministry says a Turkish observation post in Syria’s northwestern Idlib province has been attacked by mortar shells, fired from areas under Syrian government control. Three soldiers were lightly wounded.

The ministry said in a statement posted on Twitter that 35 mortar rounds were fired on Thursday at the observation point in what appeared to be a deliberate attack.

It said Russian authorities were contacted over the incident.

The statement said the wounded personnel were being evacuated and added that some equipment at the observation point was damaged.

Turkey and Russia had brokered a cease-fire for Idlib in September to prevent a government onslaught in the province. The agreement called for the establishment of demilitarized zones with observation points to monitor the cease-fire. The truce failed nine months later.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
ISTANBUL Turkey says Syrian government forces have “deliberately” attacked a Turkish military observation post in northwestern Syria. In a statement Sunday, the defence ministry said Turkish troops responded with...
Top Stories
BEIRUT—Russian and Syrian government forces launched a new wave of airstrikes on Tuesday, killing at least 55 civilians in a besieged area just outside of Syria’s capital, Damascus, according to...
World
The presidents of Iran , Russia and Turkey met in a high stakes summit in Tehran on Friday to discuss the future of Syria as a bloody military operation looms...
World
FILE In this May 3, 2019 file photo, provided by the Syrian Civil Defense White Helmets, which has been authenticated based on its contents and other AP reporting, shows...
World
BEIRUT It only took a few days for al Qaida linked militants to seize more than two dozen towns and villages in northern Syria from rival insurgents earlier this month, expanding...