News

Video released showing deputy not entering Florida school during massacre

The Broward County Sheriff’s Office released the video Thursday showing Deputy Scot Peterson’s actions during the Feb. 14 shooting. It shows him and two staff members rushing in a cart toward the three-story freshman building where the shootings happened. When they arrive, Peterson pulls his weapon and goes forward but then retreats and takes up a position outside the building.

During most of the six minutes of shooting, the camera’s view of Peterson is blocked by a light pole but parts of him occasionally appear. He never went inside. There is no sound on the video.

About 11 minutes after the 19-year-old suspect Nikolas Cruz began shooting, the video shows a glimpse of Coral Springs police officers who have arrived at the school rushing toward the building. By then, Cruz had fled. He was arrested an hour later about a mile from the school.

Sheriff Scott Israel blasted Peterson eight days after the shooting, saying the deputy should have entered the building immediately, “addressed the killer, killed the killer.”

The 54-year-old deputy retired rather than accept a suspension. He is still being investigated by internal affairs.

Peterson has denied wrongdoing. In a statement issued through his lawyer shortly after his retirement, he said he thought the shots were being fired from outside the school.

But in radio transmissions released last week it appears the 32-year veteran deputy knew almost immediately the shots were coming from inside the freshman building.

Peterson’s attorney, Joseph DiRuzzo, did not return a call and email Thursday seeking comment.

The sheriff’s office has said Peterson underwent active shooter training in 2016 where he was taught to confront and take down the suspect. The sheriff’s office said in a statement Thursday, “The video speaks for itself.”

Cruz faces 34 murder and attempted murder charges in the attack and a judge entered a plea of not guilty on his behalf Wednesday. Prosecutors say they will seek the death penalty. Cruz’s public defenders have said he would plead guilty in exchange for a life sentence.

A Florida judge earlier this week agreed with news outlets including the AP that the video should be released.

Police and school officials had resisted the release, saying it was evidence in an active investigation. Video of what happened inside the school was not released.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
World
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.—Surveillance video released Thursday showed the only armed sheriff’s deputy at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, remained outside during the Feb. 14 massacre at the...
World
SUNRISE, Fla. – The then Florida sheriff’s deputy who didn’t rush into the building as a and staff members is scheduled to testify this week before the commission investigating the...
World
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. Authorities were set to release surveillance video Thursday showing what happened outside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School during the Valentine s Day massacre that killed 17...
World
The father of a student killed during the  Parkland , Florida high school mass shooting filed on Monday a wrongful death lawsuit against a former deputy sheriff who he accused...
World
ABOVE The FBI said Friday it failed to act on an alarming tip by a woman close to Florida school shooting suspect Nikolas Cruz, who called the federal organization and...