News

Alimentations Couche-Tard, Carrefour consider partnerships after takeover talks end

Alimentations Couche-Tard, Carrefour consider partnerships after takeover talks end
Business
LAVAL, Que. - Alimentation Couche–Tard Inc. and the French grocer it was courting say they have abandoned takeover talks but will consider future operational partnerships.

The Laval-based convenience store chain and Carrefour SA issued a joint statement saying they recently discussed a possible deal, but are no longer continuing with those conversations after recent events.

French finance minister Bruno Le Maire told Couche-Tard founder Alain Boucher on Friday in Paris that he refused to let a potential $25-billion takeover proceed because he felt the deal would put food security at stake.

Now Couche-Tard and Carrefour say they will look at how they can collaborate around fuel, purchasing volumes and private labels.

They will also examine partnerships that use innovation to enhance the customer experience and optimize product distribution across their overlapping networks.

If Couche-Tard’s friendly takeover attempt had been approved, the Quebec company would have taken control of a fifth of France’s groceries market and strengthened its global presence.

Federal International Trade Minister Mary Ng said in a statement Saturday that while the Canadian government was disappointed in news the takeover would not be proceeding, it was encouraged the two companies would continue to explore an operational partnership.

“At a time when it is more important than ever to support our workers and businesses, two-way trade and investments benefit businesses on both sides of the Atlantic and deepen our economic ties,” she said.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Business
Alimentation Couche Tard remains open to a second chance to consummate a union with Carrefour if the French government has a change of heart about its opposition. But the company’s founder...
Business
With good reason, investors hammered the stock of Alimentation Couche Tard Inc. ATD.T on Jan. 13, after the news first broke that the Laval, Que. based operator of convenience stores C stores had...
Business
Four months ago, Alain Bouchard gave an update to investors about Alimentation Couche Tard Inc.’s hunt for a major acquisition. The convenience store chain was on the lookout for deals, he...
Business
Executives at Alimentation Couche Tard Inc. defended a failed bid for Carrefour SA and said they would still like to buy the French grocer some day, but will turn their focus...
World
PARIS France’s government says it opposes the proposed 16.2 billion euro $19.6 billion takeover of French supermarket chain Carrefour by Canadian convenience store group Couche Tard. Labor Minister Elisabeth Borne said...