News

Toronto convention centre to be backup location for jury selection

Toronto convention centre to be backup location for jury selection
Canada
Larger font Increase article font size

A+

TORONTO — Some prospective jurors will be summoned to a downtown Toronto convention centre as the province resumes jury selection following a six-month hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

In a notice issued Tuesday to those in the legal field, the Ministry of the Attorney General says the Metro Toronto Convention Centre is “prepared to host jury events” on its targeted date of Sept. 16.

The ministry says the centre will be used as a backup location for the Superior Court of Justice and the Civil Superior Court of Justice.

The Ontario Superior Court temporarily halted in-person operations in mid-March due to concerns over the novel coronavirus, with all criminal and civil matters suspended or adjourned until June.

Dozens of courthouses reopened in July, with more doing so this week.

Trending Stories

However, Chief Justice Geoffrey B. Morawetz previously said jury selection and jury trials would remain on hold until September at the earliest.

Jury selection brings together large groups of prospective jurors, which raised concerns about the possibility of maintaining proper physical distancing and other health measures.

In another document issued last week, the ministry said government staff visited the convention centre and conducted a risk assessment to identify any further controls that could help curb the spread of the virus during jury selection.

It called for, among other things, a staggered arrival for prospective jurors, mandatory face masks for the public and staff, and a deferral for any members of the public unable to wear a mask for medical reasons.
Read more on globalnews.ca
News Topics :
RELATED STORIES :
Sports
The latest coronavirus news from Canada and around the world Wednesday. This file will be updated throughout the day. Web links to longer stories if available. 5 45 a.m. Fielding compelling...
Top Stories
An ongoing Toronto murder trial has been postponed mid trial until June 8, a judge ruled Friday as courts grapple with responding to concerns about COVID 19. On Friday afternoon Superior Court...
Top Stories
A Toronto judge has written a scathing letter to Canadian Tire demanding to know why an employee was told he wouldn’t be paid if he were selected for jury duty....
Top Stories
Christopher Husbands, left, pictured in a court sketch with judge Eugene Ewaschuck, was convicted of second degree murder but those convictions have been set aside.   Marianne Boucher    Legal Affairs Reporter Fri., Sept....
Canada
TORONTO—An Ontario court has ruled that changes to the jury selection process brought in as part of sweeping legal reforms do not interfere with an accused person’s right to a...