News

Contestant dies after completing “Wipeout” obstacle course

LOS ANGELES - A contestant on “Wipeout” has died after completing the game show’s obstacle course, authorities and sources close to the production said Friday.

The man in his 30s was declared dead at a hospital shortly before 7 p.m. Wednesday, Los Angeles County coroner’s spokeswoman Sarah Ardalani said. The cause of death has not been released, and the man’s name was being withheld until relatives could be notified.

The reality competition show, in which contestants navigate an extreme obstacle course featuring giant balls and pitfalls that often result in spectacular crashes, ran on ABC from 2008 until 2014 and is being rebooted by TBS and production company Endemol Shine North America.

Two people close to the production said the man had completed the course on the show’s set in Santa Clarita, California, when he needed medical attention. He was helped by on-site medical staff until paramedics arrived and took him to the hospital. The people spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly.

The show stopped production Thursday and Friday and has a planned week off next week, they said. Its contestants undergo a medical exam before competing.

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family.” TBS said in a statement.

Endemol Shine released a statement saying, “We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time.”

TBS announced in April that the show would be returning, and it said in September said its new hosts would be John Cena and Nicole Byer. No premiere date had been set yet.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Entertainment
A contestant on the game show ‘ Wipeout ’ died on Wednesday after going into cardiac arrest following the completion of an obstacle course, spokespeople from TBS and production company...
Entertainment
A man competing on the television competition show Wipeout died earlier this week after completing an obstacle course while filming the series, sources close to the production told CNN. Following...
Entertainment
Banijay has agreed a €2BN $2.2BN takeover of Endemol Shine Group , marking the end of a protracted sales process for the giant production company behind shows including Black Mirror...
Entertainment
The long and laborious search for Kelly Ripas new co host on Live has finally come to an end. Yes, you can now take a sigh of relief and finally get...
Entertainment
Warner Bros. says production of Bachelor in Paradise will resume. Shooting of Season 4 was shut down while the company investigated allegatioons of misconduct.   ABC    By Elahe IzardiThe Washington Post Tues.,...