Terminally ill Frenchman calls off right-to-die strike
|CTVnews 16 Oct 2020 at 14:25|
DIJON, FRANCE -- A Frenchman who planned to refuse all food and medicine in his fight to secure right-to-die laws for terminally ill patients has called off his strike after being hospitalized, his supporters said Friday.
Alain Cocq, 57, had already tried to live stream his death on social media in September, hoping to persuade President Emmanuel Macron to change France s strict laws against euthanasia.
He abandoned that first bid after saying the suffering became too intense, and despite having vowed Monday to go "to the end" of his second attempt, Cocq again began accepting food and treatment.
"My health is deteriorating rapidly," he wrote in a short text message to AFP, adding that he was back at home in Dijon, eastern France.
"Just like the first time, he wasn t able to endure" the suffering that increased after treatment stopped, said Jean-Luc Romero, president of the ADMD right-to-die association.
Cocq has lived for years with a rare and painful condition that causes the walls of the arteries to stick together, and a series of operations in recent years has not prevented him from becoming bedridden.