News

U19 European Championships cancelled for 2nd straight year

NYON, Switzerland - The annual Under-19 European Championships in men’s and women’s soccer were cancelled Tuesday for the second straight year.

UEFA said government-imposed rules amid the coronavirus pandemic led to the decision.

“The travelling of teams and staging of mini-tournaments would prove very difficult,” UEFA said.

The men’s tournament was to have more than 50 countries playing in qualifying groups in March, leading to an eight-team final event in Romania starting June 30.
Read more on Toronto Star
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Sports
NYON, Switzerland UEFA cancelled next year’s Under 17 European Championships for men and women on Friday because of the coronavirus pandemic. Both annual soccer tournaments had been scheduled for May,...
Sports
GENEVA—UEFA softened its tone Tuesday toward organizers of national leagues and cups who want to end seasons early before completing all games. With no clear end in sight for European...
Sports
The governing body is assessing options over what to do with its flagship national teams’ competition. A final decision will come when the UEFA executive committee meets on Tuesday after...
Sports
Reuters The decision to postpone the 2020 Tokyo Olympics by a year is set to further disrupt the global sporting calendar, which has already been wrecked by the coronavirus...
Sports
NYON, SWITZERLAND—The Women’s European Championship in 2021 was postponed by one year on Thursday, moving out of a direct clash with the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics. UEFA’s executive committee agreed that...