Canadian army commander’s appointment stalled by military police investigation
|Toronto Star 13 Oct 2021 at 16:24|
The Canadian Armed Forces’ incoming commander of the army is under military police investigation, the Department of Defence confirmed Wednesday.
As first reported Wednesday by the Ottawa Citizen, a change-of-command ceremony set to take place last month for Lt.-Gen. Trevor Cadieu was postponed due to the investigation into historical allegations.
“The postponement of the ceremony is not an indictment of Lt.-Gen. Cadieu,” the department said in a statement. “However, in light of the ongoing investigation, a decision was made to allow the justice system to pursue the matter in accordance with the rule of law.”
In a separate statement, Cadieu said the allegations against him are false “but they must be investigated thoroughly to expose the truth.”
He said he’s asked the acting chief of the defence staff, Gen. Wayne Eyre, to consider finding a new army commander.
“While I have devoted every day of my career to making fellow members feel respected and included, Canadian Army soldiers deserve a leader who is unencumbered by allegations and can lead at this important time when culture change, addressing systemic misconduct and preparing tactical teams for operations must remain the priority effort,” Cadieu said.
He said he has provided “detailed information and correspondence” to military police investigators.
“I believe that all complaints should be investigated professionally, regardless of the rank of the accused,” Cadieu said.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Anyone can read Conversations, but to contribute, you should be registered Torstar account holder. If you do not yet have a Torstar account, you can create one now (it is free)