Ontario education minister provides update on back-to-school plan
|CTVnews 13 Aug 2020 at 15:20|
TORONTO -- Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce is providing an update on the provinces back-to-school plan Thursday afternoon.
Officials confirmed the announcement in a news release, saying that Lecce will be joined by Ontarios chief medical officer of health at 3:45 p.m.
A day earlier, after being inundated with numerous questions about the risks of having kids return to school in the fall, Premier Doug Ford hinted at an update to the previously announced back-to-school plan.
"The Minister of Education will be coming out in the next very short while for an announcement," he said.
It goes back to listening, we are listening, we re listening to everyone from the health experts, to the teachers unions, to the front-line workers. I m out there listening to them."
Ford said that the announcement was going to be positive.
The education minister will also be hosting an online town hall Thursday evening at 7 p.m. Residents can register and submit questions to the minister.
The Toronto District School Board (TDSB) will be hosting a virtual session of their own for parents at 6:30 p.m. on the safe reopening of schools. TDSB staff will be on hand to answer questions and talk about the steps being taken to ensure safety amid the pandemic.
Lecces news conference at Queens Park will begin minutes after Ford himself makes an announcement in Windsor.
Throughout the day, Ford will be making stops at Ford Motor Companys Essex Engine Plant, St. Charbel Antonin Maronite Catholic Church and the Chatham Childrens Treatment Centre.
He is also expected to meet with the regions mayors to discuss Windsor-Essexs economic recovery from COVID-19.
Windsor-Essex was the last region in Ontario to move to Stage 3 of the provinces economic reopening plan on Wednesday.