News

Ontario pledges $10M to identify and commemorate burial sites at former residential schools

Ontario pledges $10M to identify and commemorate burial sites at former residential schools
Top Stories
TORONTO -- The Ontario government has unveiled a $10 million action plan to identify and commemorate unmarked burial sites at former residential schools across the province.

Over the next three years, the government says it will work with Indigenous leaders to develop a process for identifying these sites, of which there are believed to be at least 12.

The announcement follows a discovery last month of the remains of 215 children buried in unmarked graves at Kamloops Indian Residential School in Kamloops, B.C.

Speaking remotely at the news conference in Kenora Tuesday, Premier Doug Ford called that discovery heartbreaking.

We know the news from Kamloops has deeply impacted survivors and their families and that Indigenous people are hurting, including here in Ontario, Ford said.

Were here to support them. Indigenous leaders and Ontarians are seeking meaningful reconciliation.

Also included in the funding are mental health supports for survivors of Ontarios residential school system, their families and Indigenous communities.

Last week, Indigenous Affairs Minister Greg Rickford told CTV News Toronto that at least 426 Indigenous children are known to have died at schools in Ontario, while an unknown number are still missing.

Tuesdays announcement aims to respond to a recommendation included in a report by the Truth and Reconciliation Commission released in 2015 which called for implementation strategies for the ongoing identification, documentation, maintenance, commemoration, and protection of residential school cemeteries or other sites at which residential school children were buried.

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission has done important work to bring the truth to light, but we have more work to do, Rickford said from Kenora Tuesday.

We know that this will reopen wounds, some that have never healed, frankly, and bring painful memories to the surface. Thats why its critical that any search and recovery efforts are community led by Indigenous people and supported with respect for community protocols and the diversity of cultural practices across Ontario.

It is believed that roughly 8,000 of Canadas estimated 80,000 Indian Residential School Survivors lived in Ontario at the time of the Indian Residential School Settlement Agreement, according to data presented by the provincial government. There were 18 Indian Residential Schools in Ontario, the last of which closed in 1991.

According to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, over 150,000 Indigenous children were forcibly removed from their families and communities and sent to Indian Residential Schools between 1870 and 1996.
Read more on CTVnews
News Topics :
Similar Articles :
Top Stories
The Ontario government will spend $10 million to investigate, identify, and commemorate the burial sites of Indigenous children . “Like all Ontarians, I was heartbroken by the news of a...
Canada
The Ontario government has pledged to provide $10 million over the next three years to investigate and help identify, protect and commemorate the residential school burial sites of Indigenous children...
Canada
TORONTO Former Truth and Reconciliation Commission chair Murray Sinclair said that hes been told the RCMP have declared an investigation into the site of a former residential...
Top Stories
TORONTO The Cowessess First Nation in Saskatchewan says it has found hundreds of unmarked burial sites near a former residential school. According to a media advisory released...
Canada
A First Nation in Saskatchewan has found 751 unmarked graves on the site of a former residential school. Cowessess First Nation Chief Cadmus Delorme made the announcement Thursday in a...